Here are some suggestions to help you ease into bicycle commuting:
- Always wear your helmet.
- Be sure your bike is in good condition.
- Wear bright clothing or reflective accessories.
- Headlights are required by law for night riding, and taillights are a good addition.
- Try a practice run on a weekend to find a good route and see how long it takes.
- Find a co-worker or friend who bikes and commute with them.
- Try bicycling to the nearest Metro or commuter rail station (MARC, VRE)
- Put your bike on a bus equipped with bike racks.
- Until you can bike the full distance, drive part of the way and bike the rest.
- Check out the Bicycling to Work in the Washington Metropolitan Region online guide.
- Try using the Washington Area Bike Forum to find a ride buddy.
Bicycling has many benefits for employers too. Once you’ve versed yourself, talk to your Human Resources department or the most logical management about why employees arriving by bicycle is a good idea and how they can help.